Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stallman calls for an end to file sharing war
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:02:53 -0000

In gnu.misc.discuss Ben Pfaff <blp@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
>> How about approach 2A: allow free copying of music and films, but instead
>> of paying artists out of taxes, they get paid by a levy on high speed
>> internet lines.  A levy of, say $50 a year, or $100 a year could provide
>> handsome income to musicians and film-makers.  There are obviously
>> difficult practical issues to sort out, but given how badly copyright now
>> misworks the levy would probably work better.

> I don't download music or films (legally or illegally).  Why
> should I pay such a fee?

To support your country's musicians and film makers.  It might seem a bit
(or even a lot) unfair, but it's not all that much money.  Would you
rather that general taxes be used to support them (as others have
suggested), or that the current "system" continue as it is?

I do understand the objection; in Germany, I'm required to pay for a
radio license on account of possessing a net-connected computer.

If you're not downloading music or films, do you really need a high
capacity net link?  Wouldn't a thinner connection do?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).