Re: Stuttgart 21 protests

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Stuttgart 21 protests
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:04:09 -0000

Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org> wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
>> I agree, 160 trains a day would fit comfortably into an 8 platform
>> station.  600 trains won't.

> Hm, so if this scheme is really such a clusterfuck, how did it
> seemingly get so far...?  Incompetence?  Greed+Lying?
> Incompetence+Greed+Lying?

It's largely funded by the taxpayers.  The rest will be paid by DB
("Deutsche Bahn", German Railways).  All cost overruns will be paid by
the taxpayers, not DB.  The scheme involves DB selling the vast tract of
land on which the tracks to the current main station are embedded.  This
will enable large bonuses to be paid to the decision makers.  The sums of
money involved are between five and ten billion Euros.  By comparison, it
is ludicrously cheap to bribe councillors, whatever form that bribery
might take.

> Surely the people in charge of running the railroads would be adverse to
> something that would make their life hell...

Why should they care?  They'll get massive payoffs, and by the time the
current main station gets decomissioned, perhaps in 15 years, they'll be
comfortably out the way, in retirement, or deceased.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).