NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 26 January 2011 NYLUG Presents: You and Many More G

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 26 January 2011 NYLUG Presents: You and Many More Giving Lightning Talks
Date: 24 Jan 2011 19:04:00 -0500

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="two lines re-formatted">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:02:08 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Presents: 1/26 @ 6:30PM NYLUG Presents: You,
on Lightning Talks

 Wednesday, January 26, 2011
 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
 IBM
 590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
 corner of 57th Street

 *** RSVP Closes at 4:30 PM the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                             NYLUG Presents: You,
                                    - on -
                                Lightning Talks

 Lightning is an atmospheric discharge of electricity accompanied by
 thunder.  How lightning initially forms is still a matter of debate.  Talk
 is the interactive communication between two or more people.  The process
 for lightning talks is well known however.  Join us January 26th for
 Lightning Talks.  If you wish to give a lightning talk, visit:
 http://nylug.org/volunteers/wiki/LightningTalks/HomePage The following
 lightning talks are anticipated:

    * Brian Gupta - Using nginx and haproxy to build a software load balancer
    * Aaron Grogan - IPv6
    * David Berner - "CLI Tips" or "How I do my job despite being (almost)
 totally clueless."
    * Forest Mars - TBA
    * Brian Gupta - Gentoo keychain -- a way to make ssh-agent painless to
 use
    * Ron Guerin / Stefanie Schulte -- Volunteering for NYLUG
    * Sunny Dubey - Amazon EC2 - Building a custom Linux AMI
    * Dallas Marlow - Varnish - HTTP Caching / Layer 7 load balancing.
    * ...  and more!

 More Information:

   * What are Lightning Talks?
     http://perl.plover.com/lightning-talks.html

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
   12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
   the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

 Map:
   http://nylug.org/mapofibm

 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at TGI Friday's
   (677 Lexington and 56th Street, Second floor, Northeast corner),
   but we are also evaluating other options for the future and welcome
   your suggestions.

   http://nylug.org/tgifridays

 Coding Workshops/Hacking Society:
   This is a group of people that wants to learn about and work on coding
   in Python, Smalltalk, Ruby, C++, LaTeX, and other languages, and hack on
code.
   There will also be help given for those who wish to install Linux for the
   first time.
   Sometimes they go out to eat afterward.

   Bring something to show off and discuss!

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are February 1, and February 15.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/hackcalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.