Re: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 1 and Wednesday 2 March 2011: NYLUG Hack Fest, NY

From: flatfish+++
Subject: Re: NYC LOCAL: Tuesday 1 and Wednesday 2 March 2011: NYLUG Hack Fest, NYCBUG with Dru Lavigne on BigBlueButton
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 02:46:10 -0500

On 1 Mar 2011 02:40:03 -0500, secretary@lxny.org wrote:

>   what="official NYLUG announcement, and
>         official NYC*BUG announcement"
>   note="NYLUG Hackfolk meet on Tuesday 1 March 2011;
>         NYC*BUG Folk meet on Wednesday 2 March 2011."
>   announcement-separator="----- ... -----"
>   edits="">
>
>  From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
>  To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
>  Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:25:02 -0500 (EST)
>  Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Workshop / Hacking Society (Smalltalk, C++,
> Python) Tuesday March 1 6:00PM-8:00PM
>
>  This is a reminder for the event detailed below.
>
>  WORKSHOP / HACKFEST
>  Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2011
>  Time: 6:00pm
>  Duration: 2 hours
>  Location: NY Public Library Hudson Park Branch, 66 Leroy St., NY NY 10014
>
>  Topics:
>    This week, we're going to take a look at LaTeX, the documentation layout
> language.

Sounds like a snoozer.

>     We will also provide install help for newcomers to Linux.

Do you ever get anyone taking you up on your offer?

>    Bring something to discuss! There's a blackboard, chalk, and Internet
>    access.

How about the sad state of desktop Linux even after 20 years of being
free?

> Notebook computers are helpful but not required. Bring books!

Good luck trying to find a Linux pre-loaded one.

>    All levels of experience from totally new to experienced welcome!

No doubt.

>  Resources:
>    *  LaTeX project homepage:
>        http://www.latex-project.org/
>
>    *  NYLUG-Talk list
>       http://nylug.org/listinfo/nylug-talk/
>
>  Map & Directions:
>    http://nylug.org/hackcalendar
>
>    We meet in the basement. Enter the library and head to the back. If the
>    door is closed when you arrive you can ask the manager of the library for
>    the keys to the room if you're comfortable opening up the basement, or
>    you can wait for some of the others to arrive.

Meet in the basement you say?

Well at least you strive to make those new comers feel at home!!