How do I cross-compile with libtool?

From: DeMarcus
Subject: How do I cross-compile with libtool?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:07:01 -0000

Hi,

I'm trying to cross-compile X11. The X11 packages use libtool.

For all my packages I use --prefix=/usr (to be installed on an embedded system) but when installing I use make install DESTDIR=/some/other/path to be able to stage before deploying. I guess this is the common way to do it?

Now, libtool seems to not being able to handle that kind of cross-compilation.

The only solutions I've found on the net are hacks, like going into all .la files and change libdir='/usr/lib' to libdir='/some/other/path/usr/lib'. That didn't solve it though.

The only solution I've found so far that seems to solve it is to remove all .la files after each package has been installed.

Is there a correct solution or do we have to wait until libtool supports cross-compilation?

Thanks,
Daniel