NYC LOCAL: Thursday 8 March 2012 NYLUG: Eric Shamow on Puppet

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 8 March 2012 NYLUG: Eric Shamow on Puppet
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:07:26 -0000

  what="official NYLUG announcement"
  edits="">

 From: NYLUG Announcements <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon,  5 Mar 2012 10:40:55 -0500 (EST)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] NYLUG Presents: 3/8 @ 7:30PM Eric Shamow on Puppet

 Due to a scheduling conflict, we will have to start our meeting next week
 at 7:30.  Please do not arrive before 7:15.
 If you'd like somewhere to hang out before the meeting, please join us around
 6:30 at our stammtisch location Flannery's at 205 W 14th St.
 (and we'll go to the meeting at 7:15 from there.)

 Thursday, March 8, 2012
 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM
 Water Tower Cafe
 Google
 111 8th Ave
 NY, NY 10011
 *** RSVP Closes at 9:30 AM March 7th ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/ or
http://www.meetup.com/nylug-meetings/events/45922792/

                                  Eric Shamow
                                    - on -
                                    Puppet

 Puppet is an open source configuration management tool.  System
 administrators have long written custom scripts and tools to help automate
 common tasks such as configuration management and system updates.  But as
 networks scale and reach outside the corporate firewall, custom tools
 become yet another management headache.

 The benefits of automated infrastructure go beyond policy-enforced
 consistency and auditing.  In conjunction with virtualizaton, the ability
 to reliably create new systems running consistent services creates
 auto-scaling applications as well as test systems identical to production
 environments.

 Puppet abstracts the system from the system administration, providing
 developers and system administrators with a simple service-based policy
 framework that allows for more consistent, transparent and flexible
 systems.  It is written in Ruby and released under the GPL until version
 2.7.0 and the Apache 2.0 license after that.

 More Information:

   * Puppet
     http://reductivelabs.com/products/puppet/

   * Puppet Wiki
     http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki

   * Puppet Users Discussion
     http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users

   * Puppet Developers Discussion
     http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-dev

   * Puppet NYC User Group
     http://www.meetup.com/puppetnyc-meetings/

 Meeting location change! Please note that this is a different Google office
 than our previous two meetings.  An RSVP and a photo ID will be required to
 obtain entrance to this location.  If your RSVP does not contain your real
 name, then please answer the RSVP question with the name on your ID or
 contact us some other way.

 The meeting will be on the 5th floor in the room named "Water Tower Cafe."
 We can enter the building at 111 8th Ave.  Please provide your name and
 "nylug/puppet" to security and then obtain a badge from our google hosts in
 the lobby before heading to the meeting room.

 Meeting Location:
   Please note that this meeting will be held at Google's Office at 111 8th
Ave, NY, NY 10011.
   You must RSVP for this meeting at http://rsvp.nylug.org/ or
http://www.meetup.com/nylug-meetings

 Map:
   http://g.co/maps/4ec4t
 Swag (Give Away):
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch:
   Before the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
   for drinks and pub food.  Our current spot is Flannery's at
   205 W 14th St.  We'll gather at 6:30-ish and head over to the meeting at
7:15.

 http://www.flannerysny.com/
 Directions from Google: http://g.co/maps/xjtrm
 Coding Workshops/Hacking Society:
   This is a group of people that wants to learn about and work on coding
   in Python, Smalltalk, Ruby, C++, LaTeX, and other languages, and hack on
code.
   There will also be help given for those who wish to install Linux for the
   first time.
   Hardware hacking projects are also welcome, and we can also teach people
   the basics of hacking with Arduino and other open source hardware.
   Sometimes they go out to eat afterward.

   Bring something to show off and discuss!

   The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
   Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
   Next meetings are March 13, and March 27.
   See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/hackcalendar

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org/ for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.