Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale

From: Tim Jackson
Subject: Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 11:30:31 +0100

On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 10:19:12 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote...

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>
> [... 17 U.S.C. 109 and 17 U.S.C. 117 ...]
>
> > > How much bearing do you think 17 U.S.C. has on European law?
> >
> > 17 U.S.C. is currently known in European law as Article 5
>            ^
> 117 -------+
>
> > "Exceptions to the restricted acts" of DIRECTIVE 2009/24/EC:
> >
> > http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2009:111:0016:0022:EN:PDF
> >
> > "Article 5
> >
> > Exceptions to the restricted acts
> >
> > 1. In the absence of specific contractual provisions, the
> > acts referred to in points (a) and (b) of Article 4(1) shall
> > not require authorisation by the rightholder where they are
> > necessary for the use of the computer program by the lawful
> > acquirer in accordance with its intended purpose, including
> > for error correction.
> >
> > 2. The making of a back-up copy by a person having a right
> > to use the computer program may not be prevented by contract
> > in so far as it is necessary for that use.
> >
> > ..."

So a lawful acquirer of a copy of copylefted software can do the same
things as if the software was non-free - such as error correction and
and making a back-up.  But ony to facilitate the use of that specifc
copy.  Nothing more.  This doesn't permit the making and distribution of
further copies.

Big deal.

> 17 U.S.C. 109 is currently known in European law as Article 4(2):
>
> "2. The first sale in the Community of a copy of a program
> by the rightholder or with his consent shall exhaust the
> distribution right within the Community of **that copy,** with
> the exception of the right to control further rental of the
> program or a copy thereof."

Again, I've emphasised "that copy".  There's no exhaustion of the right
to control the making and distribution of **further** copies.

--
Tim Jackson
news@timjackson.invalid