Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale

From: Tim Jackson
Subject: Re: [upcoming] The European Court of Justice on 'Software' First Sale
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 10:30:56 +0100

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 11:19:04 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote...

> Providing access to copyrighted work with permission to make copies
> directly by recipients instead of 'trading' material objects with
> copyrighted work fixed on/in them doesn't change the status of copies
> lawfully made

What it doesn't change is the fact that whether they are "lawfully
made" is irrelevant.

> (no matter who made them) and owned by strangers with
> respect to copyright and further distribution under doctrine of
> exhaustion -- in both cases copies fall under exception to the exclusive
> distribution right.

It follows that that's wrong too.

I've given you the reasons for all this many times over.  I'm not going
to repeat them any further.

--
Tim Jackson
news@timjackson.invalid