Permission to relicense Microsoft shared source

From: Colby Russell
Subject: Permission to relicense Microsoft shared source
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2017 00:30:03 -0500

It came to my attention today that on July 27, Microsoft gave permission to relicense a Microsoft Research project ("Allegiance") that was previously available only under the "Microsoft Research Shared Source License Agreement".

Microsoft's preferred free software license seems to be the MIT/Expat license. Here's the signoff:

https://github.com/FreeAllegiance/Allegiance/raw/master/src/AllegianceRelicenseLetter.pdf

Here's what Rick Rashid (developer of Mach and former VP at MSR) had to say:

   The last time this came up, I asked for exactly what was needed in a
   letter (or ideally one already drafted for the purpose) that I could
   sign. I never got a reply, I’m afraid. Since then I’ve retired from
   Microsoft but I’m quite certain I could get you the appropriate
   signature from my successor if you could send me a draft that would
   accomplish your goal. I personally arranged for the Allegiance
   source code to be made freely available and I know there would be no
   objections within MSR to having the game released freely on Steam.
   Just send me a draft letter that would be appropriate to your needs.

If there are any extent high-priority projects known to be available under only one of MS's shared source licenses, this might be an avenue to getting them relicensed.

--

Colby Russell