Re: referencing non-free software

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: referencing non-free software
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 23:26:50 +0300

Ilya Shlyakhter wrote:
> All I'm suggesting is that beOrg be mentioned in the same appendix
> as MobileOrg ( https://orgmode.org/manual/MobileOrg.html#MobileOrg),
> along with a note saying "beOrg is currently non-free, we strongly
> recommend that users avoid non-free software, here is a link to the
> FSF pages explaining why".  How could this be reasonably seen by
> users as an "endorsement" of the non-free beOrg, if we explicitly
> say we recommend MobileOrg, and provide the beOrg reference only to
> give users all relevant information?

By the way, as of now this very appendix [0] clearly endorses Dropbox, whose
website cannot be even be read properly without using nonfree software, what to
say about being properly used!  And whose installable client is nonfree too, of
course.

| For a server to host files, consider options like Dropbox.com
| account. On first connection, MobileOrg creates a directory
| MobileOrg/ on Dropbox. Pass its location to Emacs through an init
| file variable as follows:
|
|    (setq org-mobile-directory "~/Dropbox/MobileOrg")

The only ‘alternative’ it mentions is ‘to use webdav server’.

[0]
https://orgmode.org/manual/Setting-up-the-staging-area.html#Setting-up-the-staging-area