Re: referencing non-free software

From: Ilya Shlyakhter
Subject: Re: referencing non-free software
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 17:50:59 -0500

"it's ethically a no-no (from a free software perspective)" -- I was
hoping to better understand _why_ it's unethical to even inform at
least FSF-literate users about a non-free program.

Also, why it's ethical not to write the program at all (giving users
_no_ freedom to do anything), but unethical to write it and then not
GPL it. I understand this about programs that trap users into
_unwittingly_ giving up freedoms they may later want, but will find
costly to regain (iOS, Facebook).  But if I'm _knowingly_ giving up
only freedoms I am _certain_ I don't need, how am I harmed?  E.g. my
lease forbids pets.  If it forbade pets in small print or unreadable
legalese, so that I could discover the prohibition only after I'm too
invested in the apartment to find another, that would be unethical.
But if I _know_ I don't want pets, why is it unethical to offer me
this lease (but ethical not to offer the apartment at all)?

Is it unethical to release a free program which in practice is hard to
change because it's not written in a modular way?