Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Ruben Safir
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:24:59 -0400

On 10/28/19 8:36 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
> "Social contract arguments typically posit that individuals have
> consented, either explicitly or tacitly, to surrender some of their
> freedoms and submit to the authority (of the ruler, or to the decision
> of a majority) in exchange for protection of their remaining rights or
> maintenance of the social order." -- thus I would not like to invite
> people to GNU project with any type of a French based middle-aged
> surrendering of their freedoms to whatever authority of small group of
> people who are now proposing the "GNU Social Contract".

That is all good and well, but the real problem is that the enforcement
and modalities of gaining consent inevitably leads to the guillotine for
a large number of loyalist and rebels to no affect on real governance..
nay .. you get total chaos.

Like it or not, for small scale volunteer projects, tyrannical
dictatorial rule most often works to everyone's benefit. One can always
vote with there feet.

RMS doesn't need to be hamstrung by a bunch of wannabes after a prize,
that at the end of the day, they wouldn't even value much.  Instead of
this thread, one should consider what are you going to do after Richard
is gone, ever because he grows old and dies, or because he just gets
sick of being a human pinata.

Ruben

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.brooklyn-living.com