Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Turning GNU into a bottom-up organization
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:19:06 -0400

   Debian's social contract does define it in a different way than
   yours, yes. And that is what the commmunity enforced, and it did
   not fail to do so: the main Debian archive only contains free
   software and some references to non-free software. That is what was
   promised, and that is what Debian achieved, without the need for
   one stubborn head at the top.

You highlight exactly why we need that "stubborn head", be it in a
single person or a small group.  Debian didn't achive what it set out
to, and then tried to redefine its own words.

   > > Writing down the MUSTs to have the community enforce it
   > > collectively is better than needing somebody with a stick.
   >
   > We already have that written down in the form of the philosophical
   > sections on the GNU web pages. No?

   Again, see
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2019-10/msg00002.html

How the GNU project will be governed should be raised with RMS, since
he is the head of the project, most of the areas that Mark raises are
already being addressed or have been addressed.