Re: Youth [

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Youth [
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2019 22:36:26 +0100

* Alexandre François Garreau:

> Le vendredi 1 novembre 2019, 17:27:53 CET Sandra Loosemore a écrit :
>> I've thought about this and discussed it with other CodeSourcery people
>> from time to time in the past, but we've pretty much come up blank.  It
>> might help if I personally pursued a more visible role in the community
>> so I could act as more of a role model for other women,
>
> Might it be that it’d be mostly related with the bad gender ratio in
> CS in general?

No, it's more extreme than that.  This is also reflected in the
diversity statistics that some of the larger companies centered around
free software publish.  They tend to do worse than proprietary
software companies, if I recall correctly.

I expect that the CS imbalance makes it more difficult to catch up for
those who are trying to do so.  But it does not explain the current
state of affairs.