Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 09:27:49 +0100

* Alexandre François Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> [2019-11-04 06:30]:
> I don’t like the term “bigot”.  It seems mainly used against individual, for
> individual purposes.  Not a very social term.  I do not like “hysterical”
> neither, hovewer, but I don’t want it “removed from language”, just not (at
> least less) used as an insult as it was for the reasons it was.  Anyway won’t
> cancel words, only usage, and that’s up to locutors.  Will come with time.
> Or
> not.

Words are words, they shall have no emotions, but actually are more
powerful than any weapon.

To use words when it is proper is just to do. Even profanity may be
just in certain times and places.

To use words as insults is not right on this type of public
discussion, because we are here users of free software. We have got a
gift from RMS, GNU, FSF and majority of people who are here are
contributors, we have got their gifts, and shall be at least that much
thankful so not to insult anybody any here.

Instead of using "bigot", which is actually just a word with the
meaning, one could say "prejudiced and intolerant of the opinion (make
it specific) differing from his own" -- basically one can tell the
same by better explaining what is meant with "bigot". Take almost any
term that looks not proper, find the definition and use better
explanatory words with specific pointing and it will look nicer to
public.

bigot

* Overview of noun bigot

The noun bigot has 1 sense (no senses from tagged texts)
1. bigot -- (a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing
from his own)

To be tolerant with somebody's opinion does not mean to accept the
opinion or share the opinion. It means showing respect for the other
side to express the opinion, understand the opinion and then being
able to let it be.

Jean