Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: Women and GNU and RMS (was Re: something else)
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 09:58:40 +0100

Le lundi 4 novembre 2019 09:13:10 CET, vous avez écrit :
> * Alexandre François Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> [2019-11-04 05:26]:
> > Hi, I like discussion.  This so because I like language.  And therefore,
> > meaning.
> >
> > Le lundi 4 novembre 2019, 04:32:04 CET Ruben Safir a écrit :
> > > Nobody believes this except for a few hysterical lunitics.
> >
> > I think you’re wrong about lunatism.  I think though mob attacks can seem
> > really lunatic, they’re made by disinformed persons that tend to keep a
> > sort of consistence within the few, probably unsufficient, knowledge they
> > have about the situations they get in.
>
> People who use computers, who know how to use Internet search engines,

Which ones? what about bubbles? what about *bad* search engines (that don’t
come up with relevant results)?

> who know how to read

Sadly, it seems to me the previous events widely showed this is not granted.

> and who are just will find the facts and get
> informed and verify information.

Therefore won’t.

> * Overview of noun lunatic
>
> The noun lunatic has 2 senses (no senses from tagged texts)
> 1. lunatic, madman, maniac -- (an insane person)
> 2. daredevil, madcap, hothead, swashbuckler, lunatic, harum-scarum -- (a
> reckless impetuous irresponsible person)

OH it’s different from french (lunatic means “who change its mind easily” in
French).  I was wrong :/

We are an international community, let’s keep in mind insults and emotional
charges don’t translate well across languages (Oliva showed it during the
abort joke debate, after all)

> In my opinion GNU project shall simply stay where it is, with its good
> directions and FSF campaigns, and shall restrict any kind of proposals
> to call-out anybody by public shaming and calling attention to wrong
> behavior. Why? Because that is not a justice system, and no non-profit
> organization shall serve the justice in that way for the reason it is
> not a court of justice.
>
> One way to do that is to recognize if somebody is being publicly
> shamed for some speech or behavior which was not anyway connected to
> GNU project or FSF, and then to reject such complaints and route
> people to legal justice system. As if anybody was harmed by somebody's
> behavior, they have justice system as a recourse. If anybody was
> harmed by somebody's speech, they have legal justice system as a
> recourse.

The problem here is maybe less (or not for all) linked with punishment than
with image.  It seems, in this increasingly superficial society, people want to
be proud of their celebrity for what they symbolize instead of what they do.

This is a sad thing.