Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 12:46:42 -0500

   We could define “member” as someone who signed the social contract, but
   that’s probably not enough: a group of people could make a hostile
   takeover by signing it en masse.  So there needs to be some form of
   cooptation to avoid that, as is commonly done in organizations.

A GNU project member, be them contributors, or maintainers, have never
been required to sign anything to consider themselves members of the
GNU project.  Asking them to do so now would be unfriendly and counter
productive.  The sentence that GNU members have agreed to anything
should be dropped completely, because that is not true.

In the GNU project everyone is welcome, even people who do not share
the goals and philosophy of the GNU project.

   I guess that leads to a new sub-task: defining the procedure to
   become a “member” of the project.

You send a patch, you contribute documentation, you work on Savannah,
you don't sign or agree to anything to become a member of the GNU
project.

Please stop creating barriers, and hinders for people to contribute to
GNU.