Re: list moderation

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: list moderation
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 15:45:40 -0500

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 3:33 PM Brandon Invergo <brandon@gnu.org> wrote:

> Thompson, David writes:
>
> > So you ousted the moderators that added you as moderators?  How
> > lovely.  The discourse here has gotten considerably worse since.
> > Surely a coincidence.
>
> As I have made abundantly clear, I do not intend to discuss internal GNU
> matters on a public list.  I invite you to engage with me elsewhere.

Private GNU lists are so toxic that I and many others will rarely post
there.  Public lists have been much better.  GNU would benefit a great
deal from more transparency, so I respectfully decline your
invitation.

> However, because this is the second time this charge has been raised,
> there appears to be some confusion that needs to be cleared up.
> Moderators of mailing lists that use the Mailman software are not
> capable of changing the administrators or moderators of a list.  They
> can only moderate incoming messages.  So, you have made a false
> characterization of the situation by implying that I tricked them into
> giving moderation rights so I could turn around and use those to oust
> them.

I hope you can see the terrible optics this has.  Something has
happened behind the scenes, shortly after you and Mike became
moderators, that makes it appear as though Carlos and Mark were
retaliated against for being critical of GNU leadership.

I appreciated what they were doing and think they should be reinstated
as moderators.  I find it difficult to trust the current moderators as
things stand now.

- Dave