Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 22:06:52 +0100

On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 11:13:57PM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Iʼd like to remind, that promoting a copyleft from a just a tool applied
> strategically to a unyielding principle would be in contrary to the effective
> recommendations published on gnu.org [1].

As also pointed out by others, there are exceptions. So we should
modify this.

> > We want to give everyone the opportunity to contribute to our efforts on
> > any of the many tasks that require work.  We welcome all contributors…
> Many GNU subprojects value ‘recordkeeping’ (per Prof. Moglen [2]) and
> ‘protection for FSF’ (per @ams@gnu.org [3]) more than giving anyone an
> opportunity to contribute.   Are you calling for change in priorities?   If
> yes, I would appreciate it, if you name few concrete steps.

No change of priorities, I think, but promoting non-discrimination and
inclusiveness. The emphasis is on "give *opportunity* to contribute (...)
*regardless* of their gender etc. (...) *harassment-free* (...)".
It does not mean that bad contributions need to be accepted, or those
where the copyright assignments are not done correctly, and so on.
(And of course, non-free software will also be rejected; so there is no
contradiction between the first point, insisting on the four freedoms,
and this point.)

Andreas