Reasons for GNU governance to avoid public shamings is to encourage cont

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Reasons for GNU governance to avoid public shamings is to encourage contributions
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 10:25:06 +0100

Main reason to disapprove public shamings on GNU and Guix pages is the
purpose to encourage contributions by everybody without
discrimination, see:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/kind-communication.en.html

Quote:
======

Purpose

The GNU Project encourages contributions from anyone who wishes to
advance the development of the GNU system, regardless of gender, race,
ethnic group, physical appearance, religion, cultural background, and
any other demographic characteristics, as well as personal political
views.

There are some references to teach and educate people on what is
exactly public shamings, and there are referenced reasons why such
shall be avoided by any current or future GNU governance hierarchy.

Since the Guix leaders initiated public shamings of Stallman on their
Guix pages, it is evident that some people were discouraged from
further contributions to Guix. One can review logs and see that some
of them are way to careful in communication and my impression is that
they are discouraged and less dare to communicate.

Excerpt from Guix IRC log from http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2019-10-07.log

<quiliro> I will not retire from gnu...just from signer's projects...and
convince all my contacts too

and

<superkuh> You guys are actually buying into this media circus?
<superkuh> Shameful.

and

<quiliro> well, it hurt Guix...I am leaving...that is not hypothetical

and maybe one other person from: http://logs.guix.gnu.org/guix/2019-10-08.log

<rain2> if guix cares so much about inclusion why did you let thaht
        guy bully me off of contributing for helping somebody set up
        gnu linux libre

and

<dkorzhevin> Hilarious is that "Joint statement on the GNU Project"
             listed on subproject page

and

<dkorzhevin>I can't recall that guix represents "GNU Project"

<dkorzhevin>
https://www.change.org/p/the-gnu-project-action-proposal-to-joint-statement-on-the-gnu-project-485e8f9a-1505-40c0-89b4-582a4f0e8288

If we guide ourselves with the purpose:

Purpose

The GNU Project encourages contributions from anyone who wishes to
advance the development of the GNU system, regardless of gender, race,
ethnic group, physical appearance, religion, cultural background, and
any other demographic characteristics, as well as personal political
views.

then some of those people would not be discouraged to contribute to
Guix.