Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2019 10:52:07 +0100

* Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> [2019-11-06 09:57]:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 01:56:15AM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> > Instead of making GNU more welcoming place by lessening the burden of
> > formalities, you in fact propose GNU to withdraw deeper into itself by
> > inventing ideology-driven ‘contracts’.  And in order to add an insult to
> > injury — to cover it with Western buzzwords like ‘inclusiveness’. :-\
>
> Ideology? Hm. I do not see how the aim of creating a harassment-free
> environment could be construed as making GNU a less welcoming
> place...

There is no place in the world that can make it truly
harassment-free as some people may always find ways to harass others.

The aim of GNU Kind Communication Guidelines is to encourage
contributions from everybody.

That would include also contributions from people who may have
different and opposing viewpoints, even type of behavior that you
would not encourage.

One practical way to create harassment free environment could be to
retract your signature on the public shaming of the GNU project, and
then transfer your thoughts, statements and signatures to the off-GNU
and non-GNU related website.

Harassment from Wordnet dictionary:

* Overview of noun harassment

The noun harassment has 2 senses (no senses from tagged texts)
1. harassment, torment -- (a feeling of intense annoyance caused by being
tormented; "so great was his harassment that he wanted to destroy his
tormentors")
2. harassment, molestation -- (the act of tormenting by continued persistent
attacks and criticism)

Obviously there are people who felt intense annoyance and have
withdrawn their contribution to Guix because of that.

Various software projects have been mentioned on your statement page,
mentioning such as GNU Lilypond, GNU Mediagoblin, GNU libc, GCC, GNU
Binutils and other projects to give appearance that whole project is
taking stand to defame and harass RMS.

The effect of that public shaming is that some people who do
contribute or contributed to mentioned GNU projects are being
discouraged. I have given you clear references of few of them who
dared expressing themselves on the Guix IRC chat.

Thus contributors feel harassed too, unspoken of how RMS feels about
that. I am speaking only of contributors.

Do you know that I have personally discovered that statement at the
moment that I wanted to install Guix distribution?  I found it
extremely hateful and baseless. And I did make question and called for
facts, and none of their facts justify that public shaming.

It harasses RMS, we know that. But it also harasses contributors to
those mentioned GNU projects.

Your public shamings is totally opposite to what GNU project is made
for.

Remove it.