Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 00:36:52 +0300

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 06, 2019 at 01:56:15AM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
>> Instead of making GNU more welcoming place by lessening the burden of
>> formalities, you in fact propose GNU to withdraw deeper into itself by
>> inventing ideology-driven ‘contracts’.  And in order to add an insult to
>> injury — to cover it with Western buzzwords like ‘inclusiveness’. :-\
>
> Ideology? Hm.

Ideology, doctrine, religion — call the thing, that made you think that a GNU
developer has to be condemned for using a Macbook, whatever you find best.

Actually, ‘Church of Emacs’ suits exceptionally well, so from now on I will
refer to it as that.

> I do not see how the aim of creating a harassment-free environment could be
> construed as making GNU a less welcoming place...

In other words, the only real aim of your ‘social contract’ is to impose that
last paragraph about ‘harassment’ on everyone, while all the software freedom
stuff is just a decoration that should not be taken seriously?

> Neither how the word "inclusiveness" could be interpreted as an insult.

Indeed, next to a proposition to exclude all dissenters, it could and should be
rather interpreted as hypocrisy.

> Nor whether we need to distinguish "Western"

Of course, you do need to distinguish it, as long as you care to keep GNU a
universally inclusive project.