Re: Why "GNU/Linux" is not accepted: an observation

From: Marcel
Subject: Re: Why "GNU/Linux" is not accepted: an observation
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 15:29:36 +0700

On 11/8/19 3:01 PM, Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss) wrote:
> A typical GNU/Linux distribution include more than just GNU userland
> on top of Linux. It can be argued that the name GNU/Linux is incomplete
> and excludes contributions from other sources, the same way that
> Linux alone excludes GNU.

A similar and arguably even less fair situation arises with some
distributions, to the point that some people come to associate the whole
system with the name of the distribution.

In the case of GNU, as I read it from the GNU website[^1], the concern
seems to be less for the appreciation or accolades of receiving credit,
and more for keeping alive the underpinning Free Software philosophy.

[^1] https://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-users-never-heard-of-gnu.html