Re: Why GNU/Linux is not accepted: an observation

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Why GNU/Linux is not accepted: an observation
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 23:54:17 +0530

* Alexandre François Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> [2019-11-10 23:33]:
> Le dimanche 10 novembre 2019 18:40:20 CET, vous avez écrit :
> > * Alexandre François Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu> [2019-11-10 00:41]:
> > > Actually a lot of “high-level” user-end utilities are indeed not GNU… now
> > > even more so as Gnome is not anymore (and doesn’t want to be associated
> > > to) GNU.
> >
> > At least Wikipedia says:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME
> >
> > GNOME is part of the GNU Project
> >
> > and
> >
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/software.html
> >
> > says gnome and redirects to Gnome website.
>
> It is as much part of GNU as GnuTLS (not anymore hosted or having anything
> controlled by GNU) or LibreBoot in the late days.  It is managed separately
> and rms cannot appoint/disappoint anymore different responsibilities.  A
> blatant proof of such is the Gnome project regularly talking about and
> supporting terms such as “cloud” and “open source” (and what they refer to).

There is no requirement that i know that GNU software has to be
hosted.

So far I know all the projects have been managed separately. Software
authors decide about that.

That some GNU project uses terms "cloud" or "Open Source" is not a
problem that I know, please read the reference:

The GNU Project is aligned with the free software movement. This
doesn’t mean that all GNU contributors and maintainers have to agree;
your views on these issues are up to you, and you’re entitled to
express them when speaking for yourself.

from:
https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#Free-Software-and-Open-Source

in general, programmers need not agree to all of the GNU free software
philosophy, as long as they are contributing.

Unless somebody who is official in GNU says that GNOME is not part of
GNU project, and updates the GNU website, where it says it is part of
GNU project, it remains part of GNU project.

Please read the analogous examples in GNU manifesto:
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.en.html

where it says:

"We will use TeX as our text formatter, but an nroff is being worked
on. We will use the free, portable X Window System as well".

While TeX is not part of GNU development, it is part of GNU operating
system. Same for X Window System, it is part of GNU operating system,
yet not GNU supported project.

GNOME was specifically supported by FSF and GNU to become desktop
environment to challenge the non-free Qt libraries that were used by
KDE back in the time. The point was to make the free software desktop.

Today we have both KDE and GNOME and problem of having free software
desktop is solved.

Can you see how idea and purpose is much more important?

Jean