Re: GNU - Principles and Guidelines (was: Re: A GNU “social contract”?)

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: GNU - Principles and Guidelines (was: Re: A GNU “social contract”?)
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2020 14:03:18 +0100

On Wed, Jan 01, 2020 at 06:16:17AM +0100, Jean Louis wrote:
> * Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> [2019-12-31 12:49]:
> > It would indeed be good if we worked with the FSF to ratify the GNU
> > Social Contract and make sure it doesn't clash with their mission. But
> > given the FSF has several other programs it runs, I think it is better
> > if it is self contained. I don't see it as a problem that GNU
> > maintainers outside their GNU work might not fully adhere to the social
> > contract as long as we can trust each other to do when we are working
> > together on the GNU project itself.
>
> FSF is not overseeing GNU project, it is supporting it.
>
> Richard Stallman is person who could "ratify" it, and social contract
> is not necessary for GNU, that was already discussed and resolved so
> far I know, multiple times on this list.
>
> Tell me if I am wrong.
>
> I am surprised that you and few other people forcefully wish to impose
> something that is not necessary and that was said not to be necessary,
> and behind the back of Richard Stallman, head of the GNU project.

You are wrong.

The FSF holds the resources for the GNU project and has oversight
responsibility over how those resources are used, which should be in
accordance with the FSF mission as a charitable organization.

A Social Contract or Mission Statement for GNU is necessary as a first
step for new governance for GNU. It has obviously been discussed with
Richard, who has said it might be a good idea. But he has also been
told that discussions about GNU governance should be done openly and
publicly. His input is certainly welcome. But in the end it is the GNU
maintainers who ratify it by adopting it for their packages.

Cheers,

Mark