Re: A GNU “social contract”?

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: A GNU “social contract”?
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 10:00:06 +0100

Hello Mark,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2020 at 01:42:13PM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > Mark Wielaard <mark@klomp.org> skribis:
> > > Yes, I believe we are nitpicking at this point. And we do seem to
> > > agree. But if we are nitpicking anyway, then I would keep it short and
> > > to the point. Shorter is better:
> > >
> > >   The GNU Project adopts policies that encourage and enable developers
> > >   to actively defend user freedom.  These policies include using
> > >   /copyleft licenses/, designed to ensure that users’ freedoms cannot
> > >   be stripped off, when appropriate.

this looks very good to me now! The paragraph posed problems since we tried
to define a consistent policy, and our current practice is somewhat ad-hoc,
with a few exceptions when there are good reasons. I think your text captures
the spirit better, and allows for concrete policies to potentially be defined
elsewhere.

> Thanks. Attached is an updated version and a diff with this change and
> a few other small nitpicks mainly aimed at making the text more
> concise.

Great, this all looks good to me.

> - Remove extra explanations from the Four Essential Freedoms.
>   They are self-evident and make the text longer than necessary.

At the same time, it was nice to have them in for the discussion
and for reference :-)

Thanks for working on the document, personally I am happy with it now.

Andreas