Re: A summary of some open discussions

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: A summary of some open discussions
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 20:34:54 +0100

On Mon 06 Jan 2020 15:05, Brandon Invergo <brandon@gnu.org> writes:

> Ludovic Courtès writes:
>
>> As a side note: I think authority is not something one should take for
>> granted.  We’re a group of volunteers, and each one of us has just as
>> much authority as the others consent to give them.
>
> No.  When you join an organization, you implicitly or explicitly agree
> to work within the existing structure of that organization.

No.  (Isn't a lovely discursive pattern?  Sheesh.)

More seriously, I think that when you join an organization, you
implicitly or explicitly agree to work for the *goals* of that
organization.

At any given time, the strategy that an organization takes may no longer
correspond to its goals.  In that case it is the responsibility of the
members of the organization to change it to better fit its needs.

I am not sure why you think that a literal argument from authority will
succeed in convincing those GNU developers and maintainers that think a
different governance structure is a better strategy.

Regards,

Andy