Re: suspending FSF contributor agreements with immediate effect

From: Joel Sherrill
Subject: Re: suspending FSF contributor agreements with immediate effect
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 17:42:35 -0600

This will create a lot of paperwork which puts GNU project maintainers in a
very bad position. In practice, once someone is known to have done
assignment paperwork, there is no reason to check if they have an active
assignment. This assumption would no longer be valid.

Worse, there could be multiple suspensions and reinstatements. This would
result in periods of "ok to merge" and "not ok to merge" of varying lengths repeated.

Computationally, this means "OK to assignment" is not a boolean condition
that never changes after going true but a value that is dependent on some point in
time. How would that precise range of time be managed by the FSF? a
maintainer would have to check that the submission occurred in an
"ok to merge" period. What would the timestamp be that needed to be
compared to the "valid assignment in place" method? How would the
maintainer know?

Assuming this happened, maintainers are burdened by checking that the
assignment is OK and if any mistake is made, there is a copyright assignment
issue which could submarine the project.

If you want to stop submitting code in protest, feel free to do so. Send a letter
to the FSF telling you why you aren't submitting code. Post it anywhere you
want. But please, do not punish your fellow GNU project maintainers who
will be burdened by having the copyright assignment in force check process
changed forever.

Some of this discussion was about documenting the FSF and GNU Project processes
and making them well-known. I'm all for that. but please don't burden maintainers
forever just to make a point.

Thanks.

--joel sherrill
RTEMS, GCC, Binutils, GDB, Newlib