Re: A summary of some open discussions

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: A summary of some open discussions
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 18:33:19 +0100

Hi Siddhesh,

On Wed, 2020-01-15 at 23:19 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> I continue to express support for a more open governance model
> with the understanding that it probably means nothing since I
> am not a GNU maintainer.

Of course it means something! You are the glibc release manager.
Responsible for the next version of the core of the GNU system. Herding
50+ hackers, making sure they behave and keep to the agreed upon
schedule and features. We just haven't documented what it means for you
to have all that responsibility. Normally at this point you would
already have been made a maintainer (in GNU terms, you are already in
glibc terms). But glibc is so big that it already has 9 GNU maintainers
(FSF project stewards in glibc terms). What needs to happen imho is
either simply add you as yet another project steward (GNU maintainer)
too, just to make you part of the official GNU project governance. Or
the FSF/GNU should recognize more official positions for people with
rights and responsibilities in the GNU project to make you feel more
empowered.

Cheers,

Mark