Re: A summary of some open discussions

From: Ruben Safir
Subject: Re: A summary of some open discussions
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 18:12:49 -0500

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 01:59:14AM +0100, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> On Thu, 2020-01-16 at 21:48 -0500, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> > Yes, this is what I meant.  I've volunteered in an administrative role
> > for the GNU Project for a number of years now---with the authority to
> > appoint comaintainers to existing packages---and never has the FSF
> > attempted to exercise any type of control over GNU's governance.
> >
> > FSF does have authority over things we delegate to them entirely, such as
> > copyright assignments and trademark enforcement; system administration;
> > and such.  But that doesn't give them authority over our other procedures.
>
> Of course, if we got into a "fight" with the FSF that would be pretty
> bad. I don't think anybody wants that. It would be outrageous. But that
> the FSF never needed to explicitly use their authority doesn't mean
> they don't have the final responsibility over the GNU project. And that
> isn't a bad thing. We need each other.

You keep repeating this and it is just not true.

No matter how bad you want the FSF to have oversite of GNU, they do not.
GNU is an organization of volunteers lead of Richard Michael Stallman,
and he has final say on all matters.  the built GNU into its current
form, and volunteers has no authority over its direction or controll,
and neither does the FSF.  If Richard chose to, he could ditch any
participation of the FSF over GNU with a simple proclamation.  Any
Trademarks that the FSF holds would need to be handed to GNU, and
copyright assignments are a formality of law to establish standing if a
court case happens.  But if of itself, GNU is protected in its code base
by the GPL itself.

Furthmore, for good reason is it the case that GNU is run under a single
hand and not a Democracy.  Simply put, GNU makes unpopular decisions
that the majority of coders and corperate entities in the world not only
disagree with, but they would LOVE to just see GNU evaporate, as well as
the entire copyleft community.

When folks volunteer for GNU, they do not pledge there allegence to
Richard personally, they are simply contributing to his vision, which is
clearly encuciated and enumerated.  They no more plegdge allegnce to
RMS's personage then a worker at a bank swear fidelity to the CEO of the
bank.  They are just making a contribution in exchange for some personal
advatage, might it be for recieving gratitude, or just satisfaction of
being involved in something, or for the personal education, or because
they buy into the RMS vision for Free Software, lock stock and barrel.
Regardless of the reward, that doesn't give any volunteer to make any
governing decisions.  Stallman has rightfully alway reserved that for
himself.  It is rightful, because he alone set forth this orgnaizaiton,
and steered it, for over 3 decades.  It is his baby in total.  Attempts
to remove him from it are imorral.

Furthermore, Richard understood from the beginning that GNU would best
be served by NOT requirin the kind of fidelity to himself or the Free
Software ideal, although people are aqusing him of that, and accusing
him wrongfully.

In fact, GNU would take contributions and volunteers from any walk of
life, gender, creed or political orientation in order each its goals.
In order to do that, it would be essential for Richard to retain
governace control.  Otherwise the desenting and diverse volunteers to
GNU projects would indeed corruption the GNU vision from the inside.

and that is where we are current at, BTW.

Folks need to do the right this and put this rebelion to rest and let
richard do his job.