Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract

From: Andreas R.
Subject: Re: Endorsing version 1.0 of the GNU Social Contract
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:23:47 +0100

On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 04:12:04PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:
> "Andreas R." <avr@softwarelibre.nl> writes:
> > The wiki has been described as a tool for *all* GNU maintainers, even
> > though it's only available to a certain subset of GNU maintainers
> > willing to agree to new stipulations that were never part of being a
> > GNU maintainer.
>
> The wiki states "currently limited to GNU Maintainers".  It does not
> explicitly state that being a GNU maintainer is sufficient to guarantee
> access, although it does state "wiki for GNU Maintainers".  I see no
> ambiguity here, it's intended audience is GNU maintainers,
> non-maintainers are not invited yet.

Being accesible to _all_ GNU maintainers has been mentioned multiple times by
the gnu.tools community leaders when referencing the wiki on this list:

"The wiki is free to use for all GNU Maintainers."[1]
"the wiki is open to all GNU maintainers"[2]

I'm sure it's a fairly harmless oversight, but it does skew potential
participation towards those who are already in agreement with more
stringent social participation requirements.

> > Until this distinction becomes more clear, pointing out the difference
> > helps prevent misunderstanding.
>
> Incessantly pointing out the difference, as the sole point of an entire
> email, does not add anything to the conversation.

Normally no, but in this case gnu.tools leadership has sent out a GNU project
wide email to all GNU maintainers with the instruction to mail their
approval to this list[3].

It's not unreasonable to assume most GNU maintainers do not follow this
list and are unaware of the discussion and the various arguments around
the document, and as such should be made aware of the fact that they are
not participating in an official GNU poll.

[1]https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2020-02/msg00067.html
[2]https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2020-02/msg00031.html
[3]https://wiki.gnu.tools/git/gnu-tools-wiki/tree/code/sc-email.txt