Re: GSC 1.0 endorsement

From: Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss)
Subject: Re: GSC 1.0 endorsement
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:01:58 -0800

On 2020-02-12 15:19, I wrote:
The GNU project should also critically evaluate externally
imposed requirements and reject bad ones, including ones
coming from standards bodies like ISO and IEE.

Turns out, this is basically covered in the GNU Coding Standards.

https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Non_002dGNU-Standards.html#Non_002dGNU-Standards

"The GNU Project regards standards published by other
organizations as suggestions, not orders. We consider those
standards, but we do not “obey” them. In developing a GNU program,
you should implement an outside standard’s specifications when that
makes the GNU system better overall in an objective sense. When it
doesn’t, you shouldn’t."