Re: [Hangout - NYLXS] What's GNU -- and what's not

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: [Hangout - NYLXS] What's GNU -- and what's not
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 02:15:59 +0100

Le lundi 10 février 2020, 00:18:30 CET Mark Wielaard a écrit :
> Hi Frederico,
>
> On Sun, Feb 09, 2020 at 01:48:28AM +0200, Federico Leva (Nemo) wrote:
> > I'd like to stress a passage which made me think quite a bit:
> > > We have never
> > > pressed contributors to endorse the GNU Project philosophy, or any
> > > other philosophical views, because people are welcome to contribute
> > > GNU regardless of their views.
> > >
> > > To change that -- to impose such requirements -- would be radical,
> > > gratuitous, and divisive,
> >
> > What holds the project together is indeed something else. One can
> > debate what qualifies as "views" and whether radical changes are
> > necessary, but personally I appreciate being reminded to be careful
> > about this point.
> >
> > I've tried to think of analogues outside the usual communities we
> > usually have in mind. In my home town there is a refectory run by
> > Franciscans: I may be mistaken, but if you volunteer there you're not
> > even asked whether you're a Catholic, let alone asked to join
> > functions if you don't want. I understand one may consider that a
> > more menial task, less likely to be influenced by philosophical
> > thoughts than what one might code in their software, but it's just a
> > comparison, not a model.
>
> It is a nice comparison. This is what the GNU Social Contract tries to
> capture with "The GNU Project welcomes contributions from all and
> everyone". Even from people not endorsing all views of the GNU
> project. As long as they respect our policies of course. It would be
> good to have that added in a more explicit way. Others have also
> suggested to add an explanation like that.

You raise an interesting point.  If the Social contracts at the same time
support free software, and welcomes everybody… and as you say it welcomes
even those who don’t, so who didn’t signed it… so… what is it for?

rms said in the past that it didn’t align with GNU’s views, and you tried
to search and ask what in its content what would not… but have you
considered its mere *existence* is that?

Because GNU’s view may be not to discriminate in any way by any contract.