Re: GNU Social Contract 1.0: "level of experience" rhetoric

From: Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss)
Subject: Re: GNU Social Contract 1.0: "level of experience" rhetoric
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 17:01:01 -0800

On 2020-02-14 15:58, Phil Maker wrote:
Ludovic, ...,

Re the Social Contract I'm sure greater minds than mine have looked at
it but I feel obliged to make some sort of response of which the next paragraph is the only
important one.

Here is a problem:

"[The GNU Project] welcomes all contributors, regardless of their gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, level of experience, or any other personal
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  characteristics."

Firstly, as a consumer of GNU programs, I expect that software to be
developed and maintained by experts who have a high level of experience.

I've never been employed in any software organization in which anyone
could just walk in from the street and start coding. Commercial software
shops don't just take anyone; why would a free software project be
any different?

The GNU project is not an appropriate vehicle for inexperienced people
who are trying to stuff their resumes. Also, it is not some sort of coding
asylum for industry rejects.

Secondly, where is the problem? Are there documented instances where
someone submitted a quality patch to a GNU project, but was instead
interrogated about their level of experience and consequently rejected?

However, whereas that is fine for patches coming in from outsiders,
the gatekeepers who control what goes in better have some combination
of talent and experience.

People with no talent or experience are not a protected class; it's
not discrimination to keep them out of projects.

This kind of "regardless of level of experience" nonsense has no place
anywhere in an organization like GNU.