Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 09:55:31 +0100

Dmitry Gutov, le jeu. 20 févr. 2020 10:43:47 +0200, a ecrit:
> On 20.02.2020 6:08, DJ Delorie wrote:
> > There are a lot of projects that are free software but not GNU.  If
> > people choose to work on those projects instead of GNU, GNU loses, even
> > if free software wins.
>
> Well, this is disappointing.
>
> I figured your "collaborates with the broader free software community" item
> was about how non-GNU free software are a "good thing" still (e.g. LLVM has
> the right to exist, and we should interface with it properly as well), but
> apparently not.

I believe you are misinterpreting his words.

Our concern is that at some point GNU may be just completely unknown
to free software enthousiasts. As in, when you'd ask people what free
software is about, they would answer "ah, yes, the stuff on github,
right".

Sure, seeing free software being developped outside GNU is a great
achievement of the GNU project: the goal outpassed the only context of
the GNU project. But the GNU project being less and less known is not
good news for the GNU project by itself. To avoid that, you can't just
say that the existing software can just be maintained and does not need
new development. To keep a strain of new incoming contributors, you
need new features (thus new releases), new ideas, new projects. Just
maintaining old stuff isn't appaling for newcomers.

Samuel