Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 09:02:34 +0100

Hi Dmitry,

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> skribis:

> On 20.02.2020 11:47, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> I think it’s important for GNU hackers as a group to be able to reflect
>> on the project’s procedures and discuss whether/how to improve them.
>
> So what GNU hackers who disagree with you lot on this or other
> subjects are supposed to do?

They can choose to ignore the Social Contract, or better yet, they can
let us know they do not endorse it and (ideally) why.  It’s a process.

> I don't see the opposing viewpoints reflected in your documentation
> anywhere. You have formed a subgroup, discussed your views in private,
> and are now soliciting positive feedback within the project, while
> largely ignoring negative one.

This is wrong.  See the timeline at:

  https://wiki.gnu.tools/gnu:gsc-feedback

> And you're misrepresenting yourselves as a project-wide official
> initiative. "We are GNU, and here are our values".

Our first message¹ to maintainers started with:

  The authors of this message have started an effort […]

I don’t think there’s any misrepresentation.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

¹ https://wiki.gnu.tools/git/gnu-tools-wiki/tree/code/sc-email.txt