Re: Why the "social contract" should not be endorsed

From: Andreas R.
Subject: Re: Why the "social contract" should not be endorsed
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 19:40:11 +0100

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 06:41:48PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> I’m fine with you expressing your opinion, but please keep in mind that
> it’s a discussion to be had first and foremost among GNU stakeholders.

Surely, "first and foremost" it should be a discussion to be had by the
existing leadership?

It would also be nice if you could use "GNU maintainers" when you mean
"GNU maintainers", since it is not possible for you to know who has and
who hasn't got a "stake" in GNU before you confine "GNU stakeholders" to
any particular group in the context of a statement.

> It’s unfortunate that we’ve seen people not involved in GNU be much more
> vocal than GNU hackers on this list.

Whereas most GNU maintainers are probably GNU hackers, not all GNU hackers
are GNU maintainers.

> It’s not been helping.

Helping with what? Like your earlier "enough is enough", imprecise statements
and slogans get in the way of clarity and understanding.

> PS: It’s telling that yet another insulting message passed moderation!

Passive-agressive is also agressive, and not helpful in problem solving.
If you have a problem with a particular person or group, please be calm
and clear.

        thanks,
        Andreas R.