Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 21:49:13 +0100

Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss), le sam. 22 févr. 2020 12:22:55 -0800, a ecrit:
> On 2020-02-22 01:50, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Really, not including the next generations in a project is running the
> > risk of the project just dying with its leaders.
>
> Project "liveness" is not the ultimate value. If nobody is found who
> will maintain it the way it ought to be, then let it die.

Sure.

But what will rather happen is that the new generation will just rewrite
another program, possibly without caring about making it free software.

> I suspect that these initiatives to have inclusion of regardless
> experience are driven by project zeal, and envy of popular projects.

It's not a question of envy, but of making sure that on the long term
we still have a free operating system.  If we don't include the new
generation, and alongside teach it why we need free software.  The new
generation may just not care about picking up the task, we may then grow
old in a world with non-free software.

Samuel