Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2020 23:50:51 +0300

* Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault@gnu.org> [2020-02-22 23:45]:
> Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss), le sam. 22 févr. 2020 10:22:55 -0800, a ecrit:
> > On 2020-02-22 01:50, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > > Yes. Which doesn't mean they should immediately be given commit power
> > > etc. But at the very least be helped to improve and acquire experience.
>
> > I strongly disagreee; people should come to freeware projects
> > as "self starters" with some meaningful combination of decent
> > industry experience and talent.
>
> Perhaps that's one point where opinions diverge.
>
> > Simply put nobody has the time to tutor you.
> > You have all the code; you can study it. There are books,
> > tutorials, and other resources.
>
> So the new generation will have to learn by itself? Do not be surprised
> if it doesn't wish to pick up the software that was produced by the
> previous generation, and will just rewrite everything with non-free
> tools etc.
>
> If nobody is there to hold their hand, I don't see a reason why they
> would listen to the free software goals.

I am in agreement with you. Why not make your free software philosophy
seminar somewhere? Promote the free software philosophy.

Promoting only software does not really educate people on free
software, it is a long process to get it spontaneous that way.

> I didn't mean *pure* protection. I just mean that for instance when
> a complete newcomer proposes a crappy patch, one should tell him why
> it should be improve (and not just call it crap).

I can totally understand what you mean, but it is not practical to try
to police other people's behavior. There are many different
mentalities, planet Earth is developing, but it does not need new type
of fascism to police what and how people should behave.

It is always good to help people. But you should not police other
people, rather do it yourself. Help people in that manner how you
think it is appropriate. But let other people be.

You are not creating any community that way, you wish to create police
to control other people's behavior.

So far I know, GNU project was always welcoming, and kind, I cannot
say different.

Jean