Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: The General Public Licence (GPL) as the basic governance tool
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 01:20:28 +0100

Le samedi 22 février 2020, 23:01:54 CET Andreas R. a écrit :
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 10:04:36PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> >> We have never pressed contributors to endorse the GNU Project
> >> philosophy [..] people are welcome to contribute to GNU regardless
> >> of their views.>
> > The GNU Social Contract is about changing that.
>
> So who is going to maintain Emacs?

Emacs is a bad example.  There are plenty of people working and willing to
work on emacs.  Current maintainer is likely a choice among others.  If he
is so, it is likely because other options are less good, lack time, etc.
and that he does a good job already.  But emacs wouldn’t die yet…

Yet it is good to recall that Emacs maintainer doesn’t support free
software, makes conferences using apple stuff, and yet help emacs staying a
great piece of software, afaik still staying within the rules of GNU (org-
mode manual still doesn’t relates proprietary software, elpa still doesn’t
include proprietary or even non-fsf-licenced software, etc.).