Re: [Hangout - NYLXS] Harrassment on this list

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: [Hangout - NYLXS] Harrassment on this list
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 04:14:17 +0100

Le lundi 24 février 2020, 15:57:39 CET Ludovic Courtès a écrit :
> Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com> skribis:
> > nipponmail@firemail.cc writes:
> >> I'm not on this list to see a do-nothing guy foment all day and night
> >> filling up my inbox. Ruben: If you want to sue, sue. You're a Jew,
> >> you
> >> know lots of lawyers. Stop fomenting and keveching and just file your
> >> suit.
> >
> > As far as I can tell, I received this on the gnu-misc-discuss mailing
> > list.
> >
> > I think it is necessary to say that I find this kind of racist
> > commentary abhorrent.
> >
> > I hope that others feel the same way.

I didn’t received that mail… is that crossposting?

> I feel the same, it’s terrible that such messages are tolerated.
> We should stand up against that.

I must say that, I was first shocked.  But as that feeling is rare to me, I
found that interesting and reflected…  It was likely, as a french, by not
being used to that (afaik it’s not illegal in the US, I don’t know how
common it is)… so is that how it passed moderation? and wait… this looks
*unambiguously* racist… but is it an insult? it is not… so this is an
interesting case.  Is that *why* it passed moderation?

So I did read again the GKCD, and it says everybody is accepted (even
“encouraged to contribute”) whatever the demographics, etc. it says “race”
(whatever it means), “ethnic group” (more precise, maybe too much, I know
what it means but not when it applies ^^'), “religion” (okay this is clear
but knowing enough personally people to know when it applies is trickier),
“cultural background” (actually the same, thinking of it)… but it doesn’t
talk about “racism”.

I then read again your Code of Conduct, and it doesn’t forbid racism
neither.

So what in case of “positive” racism? or self-interiorized racism? what
about someone who someone has good characteristics because of biological
race, or who believe she has personal problems for racist reasons?  She’s
not insulting anyone else.  She’s not making people unwelcome, she’s not
necessarily hingering contributions…

Moreover… what is racism anyway? I saw several right-wing people twist its
original definition so that they can term any opposition to nationalism as
“anti-white racism”.  Which is easy as in my country the liberal
commonsense meaning is taken to colorblindly mean “ignoring any differences
about races” (like a lot of people feel like the word “black” about a
person is to be somewhat racist, so they don’t use it, and when they need
it too much they use the english word “black” (because english looks
“cooler” to them)), or it is even stretched so much sometimes that I
already saw people to qualify “hatred against LGBTs” as “racism”.

This is even trickier as these kind of stuff pretty much change across
countries… So okay there are a lot of people based in the US within GNU,
but also many not… and if “endorsement” or “racism” becomes important…
what about when it gets more ambiguous? what is someone is a nazi white
supremacist *outside GNU*? will some day every maintainer be policed
according their personal views on the israelopalestinian conflict?

https://stallman.org/archives/2019-may-aug.html#29_May_2019_(Experience_of_Labour_with_antisemitism)