Re: State of the GNUnion 2020

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: State of the GNUnion 2020
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 08:50:51 +0100

Alexandre François Garreau, le mar. 25 févr. 2020 03:10:35 +0100, a ecrit:
> Le mardi 25 février 2020, 00:55:09 CET Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> > Did you really read what was actually written on
> > https://wiki.gnu.tools/gnu:social-contract ?
> > It does not talk about the values that contributors hold for themselves,
> > it talks about the values put in the software of the GNU project:
> >
> > “
> > The GNU Project provides software that guarantees to all users the Four
> > Essential Freedoms, without compromise:
> > ”
> >
> > etc. It does not talk about exclusively using free software etc.
>
> Oh my god so this is even worse I could believe.
>
> So… this statement is not about society, it is not about the actual
> *goals* of GNU (making people able, in their life (= in their general
> usage of computers), to only use free software, so that they can act to
> make proprietary software disappear), it is simply about GNU…

Could people actually *READ* the text instead of relying one a single
sentence of it?

The text also says:

“
the GNU Project, which creates and distributes a software system that
respects users' freedoms
”

Which very precisely is about being able to only use free software.

But that doesn't *forbid* people from using other software, why would
it?  That'd be exclusive for sure, but that's not the goal.

Samuel