Re: Why the "social contract" should not be endorsed

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: Why the "social contract" should not be endorsed
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 14:53:31 +0100

Hi Siddhesh,

On Tue, 2020-02-25 at 10:42 +0530, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 23/02/20 23:34, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> > Contrary to the members of Manor farm, we welcome anyone and will not
> > dismiss your opinion just because you are not a GNU maintainer.  This
>
> Wait, I was told that my opinion on matters of GNU governance does not
> matter because I am not a GNU maintainer

Of course your opinion matters a lot! As release master and uploader
for GNU glibc your opinion is very valuable. I am sorry that through a
technicality you weren't listed in the maintainers file and so were
excluded from our direct call for discussion and endorsement. But we
had to start somewhere. And I hope you did have a chance to discuss
this with the glibc stewards and other maintainers. We will expand the
discussions to all GNU volunteers over time. But as you might have
noticed this list might not be the perfect discussion forum. So we are
working on something better.

> and that was not by the "members of the Manor farm".

I know you didn't start the "childish/clever" insults, but please don't
just repeat it back. If you don't like the way someone expresses their
opinion please just say so directly and explain why, so they know how
to better express their viewpoint. Tit-for-tat in insults is a downward
spiral we don't want to get trapped in.

Thanks,

Mark