Using proprietary software [was: Re: one-paragraph comments on s/w freed

From: John Darrington
Subject: Using proprietary software [was: Re: one-paragraph comments on s/w freedom being more important than tech niftiness]
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 05:27:59 -0400

On Mon, May 11, 2020 at 09:34:50AM -0700, Kaz Kylheku (gnu-misc-discuss) wrote:

> However, using proprietary tools also isn't inherently unethical.
>
> (Also, if you're using tools to produce proprietary software (which
> free tools cheerfully allow), the debate of which tools it is ethical
> to *use* kind of goes out the window.)

You are correct.  The GNU/FSF position is sometimes misunderstood on this
issue.  In case anyone isn't sure, let me try to summarize it:

  Using proprietary software is NOT unethical.  But it is unwise for
  a lot of reasons, and hurts yourself.

  Producing proprietary software IS unethical because it hurts the people
  who will use it.

J'