Re: Web versions

From: Schanzenbach, Martin
Subject: Re: Web versions
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 10:18:49 +0100

Hi,

I am confused regarding the issues raised here against "porting" a GNU package
to WebAssembly and would very much welcome clarification.
As Jacob pointed out, WA can be considered (mostly) a compilation target from my
experience.
I have used emscripten (LLVM) before to do this IIRC for C programs.
So a Free Software browser offering a WebAssembly API and offering support for
GNU packages is a problem how?
Saying that webassembly is "even more obfuscated" than javascript does not make
sense to me
either, as a compiled program is always "obfuscated" to a user.

So how is a Debian package of a webextension which includes a GNU package
compiled to WebAssembly different
from the same Debian package of the GNU package compiled against the native
libc?
Isn't webassembly in contrast an opportunity to bring GNU packages as
webextensions into the browser without
falling into the JS trap??

BR
Martin