Re: Web versions, thoughts

From: Parodper
Subject: Re: Web versions, thoughts
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 09:32:10 +0200

O 01/04/21 ás 06:31, Zany And Crazy escribiu:
OK, I posted that post about putting software on the web because I
thought it's a cool idea. I stopped reading after about the 3rd or 4th
post, so I have no idea what you guys are saying. 30 years have
passed, Linux and all it's software's market share stands at what, 2%?
The world has moved on  - to the web. So, it's obvious that all the
folks WRITING those software, who're not doing it for the money, AT
LEAST WANT AN AUDIENCE! And putting it on the web will GIVE you that!
So - what the fuck are you arguing with *ME* for?? If there IS a
problem with making it "free" - FIGURE OUT A WAY OUT OF IT! I'm on
YOUR side - let's do it, shall we? :)
Microsoft is going to "move to the cloud" soon - if THIS isn't Linux's
chance, I don't know WHAT THE FUCK IS!
Come on guys, get together and put your heads together now :) I wanna
see all those things running nice n quick inside my BRAVE browser Real
Soon :)

You seem to think this is easy. It is not. Porting something to the web is not only rewriting from scratch in JavaScript, which by itself is difficult, but you would have to redesign the programs to fit the web. That would require maintaining two separate versions of the same program.

Also, since on your message you talk about Microsoft moving to the cloud, I'd guess you are talking about Office. That would mean LibreOffice and OpenOffice to us, because most of the GNU programs *can't work* on the web, since they are so tied to an operating system. For those you already have web terminals.

You also think that the cause of the low market share of GNU programs (vague and therefore false, there are famous and not-so-famous programs) is the lack of an audience, but putting something on the web does not make it automatically announce itself. Microsoft did not change the popularity of its programs by moving them to the web, they were already famous so it made them economic sense to move them to the web.