Re: Truth matters when writing software and selecting leaders

From: Martin
Subject: Re: Truth matters when writing software and selecting leaders
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 10:57:42 +0000

On 3/28/21 6:47 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
* shulie <shulie_release@optimum.net> [2021-03-27 21:28]:
On 3/24/21 10:55 PM, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
As I understand, RMS always thought that proprietary software
companies would make some kind of large legal attack on the GNU project,

no - this is just how the extreme left works now.  They scream until you
agree with them.
We are here together because of free software, that is where we can
agree upon that we like it, promote it, it is useful, helps people,
preserves users freedom and control of their data.
The problem is that everyone define the term "free software" in many different ways. Controversial statements like https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.en.html making this issue even more confusing. There are many non ethical open-source licenses and obfuscated codes but saying that free software is better than open-source in general is like saying that official facebook app (binary blob available for free) is better than telegram app (open source client available only with commercial and centralized backend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_(software)#Security ). We need updated, clearer and more explicit definition (not just better or worst intuitions) of the perfect free, open-source, secure, reproducible and bootstrappable hardware/software/system that could unite us again.
If RMS/FSF/GNU/Free Software go down now, we are defeated and we let
those corporations control every single citizen on this planet.
This organizations and individuals are helpful but not crucial. Control of resources never last forever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKkvPxYNh9A