Re: Pentagon linked to shaming attack on RMS

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Pentagon linked to shaming attack on RMS
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2021 14:55:49 +0300

* Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281@gmail.com> [2021-04-03 05:17]:
> Daniel Pocock wrote:
> > Its all in the last picture
> >
> > Paul Tagliamonte, seconded the motion in Debian, with the co-founder of
> > Rebellion Defense and the top brass at the Pentagon.
> >
> > https://debian.community/paul-tagliamonte-debian-usds-white-house-mob-ringleader/
>
> I do not know where you are located, so perhaps you are unaware that that is
> a fairly tenuous link in the USA -- the "military-industrial complex" that
> President Eisenhower warned us about in his farewell speech has grown very
> large and the "revolving door" between government and private industry has
> been long-lamented and long-pilloried.

After more careful review of the hyperlink, if that email is genuine,
it is in my opinion against the mentioned law 5 CFR § 2635.702 - Use
of public office for private gain.

> Tagliamonte, whose actions are legitimate to discuss because he has
> publicly promoted a position on the issue, would have been hired in
> 2015, based on the email you quote in that article.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/2635.702

IMHO, when Tagliamonte during his employment mentioned his position in
government, he is in violation of the above law. Thus his work at
Debian IS INFLUENCED by person who worked in government, and it
represents conflict of interest.

> As such, Tagliamonte would have been considered a civil service
> employee, and was supposed to have been hired on an apolitical
> basis.

The Federal Regulation does not mention differences on that page. It
speaks of employees regardless of the basis of employment.

> In conclusion, while asking his employer if they are being paid to
> help instigate a mob against RMS seems to be an amusing example of
> "sauce for the gander"

First time I have read your comment, and because did not find facts
(and still don't see enough) on the page, I was in agreement. Now I
see it right that Pockock points out to that violation, at least if
the email there is genuine, as that is clearly abuse of power.

> Tagliamonte's previous government employment and trip through the
> "revolving door" to the private sector does not stand out as reason
> to suspect that the government is somehow behind the attacks on RMS.
> The "revolving door" is simply too widespread to support a claim of
> that type of corruption.

>From visits to many countries, even if one person employed in
government does some action, it is act of government, that is why
there is the regulation (law) to prevent the abuse of power. I just do
not see what would be the sanction for that.

Prohibitions may apply after the employment:

5 CFR § 2641.202 - Two-year restriction on any former employee's
representations to United States concerning particular matter for which the
employee had official responsibility.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/5/2641.202

--
Jean