Re: The anti-GNU defamatory group of Ludovic Courtès - Re: assessment of

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: The anti-GNU defamatory group of Ludovic Courtès - Re: assessment of the GNU Assembly project
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 20:06:45 +0300

* quiliro@riseup.net <quiliro@riseup.net> [2021-04-29 19:27]:
> Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:
>
> > By the way, could you please update the license on this page:
> > https://gnu.tools/en/documents/free-software/
> >
> > The page is mentioning "open source" that was never in the original
> > article for free software here:
> > https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html and original article is
> > licensed under Copyright © 1996, 2002, 2004-2007, 2009-2019, 2021 Free
> > Software Foundation, Inc. This page is licensed under a Creative
> > Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License. -- which
> > means, that you are required legally:
> >
> > - You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and
> >   indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable
> >   manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you
> >   or your use.
> >
> >   There is no URL to the original article, in fact there is no URL or
> >   hyperlink to any GNU.org page, no proper attribution, no license,
> >   and no indication of modification. You are required to respect
> >   copyrights.
>
> This makes me doubt if Guix really respects FSF FSDG.  If they cannot
> respect free software licenses, maybe they include non-free software.
> That is why I proposed in 2019 that approved distros do not audit
> themselves for freedom.  A third party should.  But Donald Robertson has
> delayed with different excuses over time.  John Sullivan also decided to
> overlook this.  They just bounced it back on me, instead of taking
> action as FSF should do.  I wonder why they have so much decision power
> in FSF and not the board.

I have tried making that point back in 2016. I am not sure if Guix's
automated system respect licenses, I think it does not. Here is
message from 2016 to Ludovic, it was private, I never got an answer on
that. I wonder why.

[Wed Apr  6 2016]
<jmarciano> Hello Ludovic. I wish to tell you in private.  [09:32]
<jmarciano> I would rather tell you in private for GPL2 conformance   [09:53]
<jmarciano> as when distributing binaries, it is not enough to provide link to
            original sources  [09:54]
<jmarciano> also when patching original sources, that is modification  [09:55]
<jmarciano> I guess that functions shall be made to provide: storage (on
            servers) for modified sources, to be downloaded later. Or 3-years
            written offers.
<jmarciano> anyway there must be storage
<jmarciano> for each version that was ever downloaded as substitute, there
            shall be storage.  [09:56]
<jmarciano> and there shall be link in the package definitions if you ask me,
            to such source storage, or there must be written 3 years offer...
                                                                        [09:57]
<jmarciano> so I guess that there are new functions to be made...

IMHO, those issues are not solved today.

I may be wrong. However, I think I raised that issue on Guix IRC too,
but it was just ignored.

Issue is however open and ignored for 5 years 23 days.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/