Re: cURL author receives rude LogJ4 security inquiry

From: Akira Urushibata
Subject: Re: cURL author receives rude LogJ4 security inquiry
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 08:22:26 +0900 (added by address@hidden)

In a previous post I stated that the distinction between subjective
and objective is necessary.  Our friend Monsieur Jean Louis offered a
lengthy reply to this message, but he did not first clarify on this
distinction.  It is okay to say that one does not agree here but it is
important to make clear what position one takes.  Lacking this
distinction, the reply was deprived of structure.  I can see that
there is information that should be useful in certain contexts.  But I
don't think it will help the cURL author or others in a similar
situation.

I was initially puzzled by the way Jean Louis replied.  Now I believe
I know why.  My approach to the problem had elements that were exotic
to him, and probably, other list members as well.  That made him
uncomfortable and he felt compelled to reply.

To those who desire to understand what is going on here I recommend the
following Wikipedia article:

Meme - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

---

> Linux is not "operating system", but kernel.

I think that most, if not all, list subscribers are aware of that.

The following is a book by Linus Torvalds, in which he states that
he wrote Linux and in which he expresses strong disagreement with
Richard Stallman's claims.

  Just for fun
  The story of an accidental revolutionary
  by Linus Torvalds and David Diamond

  ISBN 0066620724
  262 pages  Harper Business

I am providing the above information, not because I agree with the
content of the book, but because I understand that what our friend
Jean Louis has said is not accepted in the greater world.

> GNU system existed before the kernel Linux, and once somebody put
> GNU with any kernel, it is GNU system based on Linux kernel.

We have been saying this for a quarter century and yet it is not
taken seriously.  To solve a problem, one must first understand its
primary cause.

I would like to remind you that I work on Netpbm.  If you download
the source and run "make" source files which I have worked on will
be compiled into executables.  I have done work on the build framework.
In particular the test invoked by "make check" is all my work.  I
have hands-on experience with makefiles and I can tell whether make
should be considered a part of the OS.  Moreover I stand in a position
to state whether Netpbm should be considered an OS component or an
application.

Unfortunately my opinion will have little or no effect upon those who
choose not to respect me in light of my contributions to Netpbm.